Hello Everyone!
I hope that you all had a wonderful 4th of July weekend. 2 weeks ago on my blog I accidently posted about the visual system that I would be using for my task analysis. If you missed it I did a bathroom schedule for my focus child that consisted of the following steps:
1) open bathroom door
2) close bathroom door
3) pull pants down
4) potty
5) wipe
6) pull pants up
7) flush
8) wash hands
9) dry hands
10) exit bathroom
He seemed to do very well with this schedule and liked looking at the pictures (made from boardmaker). He recently graduated Pre-K (last week) and will be attending a Cross Categorical Kindergarten class. I sent this bathroom schedule with him in his classroom folder, in case his teacher would like to use it with him in her class.
Now, I will discuss my prompting competency (which I should have discussed 2 weeks ago). My focus child has trouble cleaning up after center time. He is a very independent child and does not like to be told what to do. His teacher would play the, "We Are Family" song at the end of centers to transition her students to clean up and be seated at the carpet before the song ended. He would either a) ignore the song and continue playing or b) go directly to the carpet without cleaning up. I did the assessment on him and went down the steps all the way to full physical. I suggested that it would help if we made cleaning up a game and saying things such as, "I wonder if you can pick up the toys faster than I can?" or "Do you think you can clean up before I count to 10?" I think that he needs to see cleaning up as fun for it to work. Cleaning up was something that his teachers worked on all year and he still would not always comply with the requests.
I hope everyone has a wonderful week!!
Heather
When I was an assistant in PRE-K we had child that did this. I made a picture chart with words also for the student. This student had a speech problem. The chart was a great help for him to learn to talk. When we did these things with him we would point to the word and the picture. As time went he would try to say the words to the pictures. He also had speech therapy.We also taped the chart on the bath room door as he enter and inside the bathroom as he exit. The teacher and my self would go through this chart with him every time he needs to potty and sometimes before when we line up as a group for the bathroom. I think this is a great idea you did and sending it to his other school they will be happy.
ReplyDeleteHeather, you come up with some great strategies. We have to make things fun for some children to get them to understand. But at the same time be consistent at what we do. Also let the child know this is part of the daily routine and it must be done. I know the teacher was glad you came up with a strategies for this child.
ReplyDeleteHeather,
ReplyDeleteIt seems like your student is really engaged in his play. He might benefit from a verbal reminder 5-10 minutes before the end of play to give him the opportunity to end his activity and prepare for clean-up time. I hope you have a great week too!
Debbie