Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Assistive Technology

My focus child and everyone in his Pre-Kindergarten class are verbal and able to make choices verbally, share information (sometimes when prompted) and wants and needs at an appropriate level. I did have some low tech experience with Assistive Technology in my practicum experience. This consisted of a touch screen computer called a hatch.

In the Elementary School ,where I am a special education resource teacher, we do have an Intellectually Disability Severe and Profound class where most of the students have multiple disabilities. In this class there are 3 Kindergarten students, 2 first grade students, 1 second grade student, and 1 fifth grade student. All of the students are non-verbal. 4 of them are in wheelchairs and 4 of them can walk on their own. After watching the video, many of the assitive technology devices that were shown are being used in this ID Severe classroom. The teacher uses big Mac's to assist the children with being verbal. She will use to them to help them make choices and answer yes or no questions. She also sends them home with the students periodically for their parents to record their night and home and then the next day each child can share with their classmates at school.
I am also certified in adaptive curriculum in North Carolina and could possibly teach in a low incidence classroom, and if I ever decide to, I will definitely incorporate assistive technology into my classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Heather,
    I taught kindergarten in a title I school for several years and I have to say I truly appreciate special education resource teachers! It is wonderful that your school incorporates assistive technology into the Intellectual Disability and Severe Profound class. After seeing the devices used in the video I think it would be even more beneficial to see them in person. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,
    I worked in a pre-k EC (exceptional children) classroom. Most of our students were verbal. We did not use any assisitive devices this year. I think they are wonderful tool and provide children with disabilities and opportunity to gain some sense of independence and self-worth. I hope this coming year that I will have a chance to use it in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete