I have mixed feelings about inclusion. I think that students who have severe and profound disabilities, students with multiple disabilities, and students with low incidence disabilities are served better in a separate setting where there direct needs can be met. Many of the severe and profound students in the classroom at my school are non-verbal had have feeding tubes. They would not benefit from an inclusion setting.
I feel that inclusion is very beneficial for students who have high functioning autism, learning disabilities, ADHD. Research shows that students learn best from their peers. Students with disabilities will benefit greatly from their non-disabled peers. Inclusion can be made successful, by making sure you maximize every student's learning. Students with disabilities often need extra directions, visual schedules, and peer buddies in order to be successful in an inclusion environment. Also, the regular education teacher and the special education teacher need to collaborate weekly and look at what is and what is not working in order to maximize results for the student.
Heather,I have mixed feelings about inclusion classrooms. I feel that children with multiply disabilities would not get the service they need if they were in an inclusion class. I feel if these children are separated they would have a more qualify teacher and the materials that are need.Children with autism ,ADHD and a learning disability would benefit from the inclusion class. I also say the teachers have to be capable to work with these students and understand the "people language."I know they say children learn better from their peers. I agree with you on inclusion. I also know that every child has a right to learn in a regular classroom setting but there should be some limits.
ReplyDeleteI also agree that some students would not benefit from being in an inclusive classroom, and it would also be somewhat of a disadvantage to the teachers and other students. Students who have Autism, cognitive, communication, and motor delays, and ADHD, however, would benefit from being in an inclusive classroom. Having typically peer models is very beneficial to those students.
ReplyDeleteI agree, students with high functioning autism, learning disabilities, and ADHD benefit from placement in the regular classroom. I don't have experience working with children who have severe and profound disabilities, multiple disabilities or children with low incidence disabilities so I appreciate your opinion. I think you also provided great suggestions for making inclusion successful.
ReplyDeleteHeather
ReplyDeleteI also felt the same way until I saw the video with Ms. Little and her class. I think some of her students had multiple disabilities but with assistive technology and lots of planning she was able to include all her students in activities. I know it must require a lot of work but to see the looks on children faces to be a part of a regular classroom is what they say, "priceless."