Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Social Story Skill

The student that I am working with does not always display appropriate play behavior. He prefers to parallel play and recently he has been wanting to play and interact more with his classmates.His requests to participate do not always follow classroom procedures and he does not verbally request a turn in order to participate in small or large group activities.

In order to address this social skill I am going to create a PowerPoint presentation that is called, "I Can Play with My Friends." I have taken pictures of my focus child and his classmates to use in this story.  The purpose of the social story is to teach him to ask his friends, "Can I play with you?" when he is wanting to join an activity or game.


I hope it is something that will work for him. I am going to provide his parents with a copy of the story to help him prepare for Kindergarten.

3 comments:

  1. Heather,

    I hope that your social story helps your student initiate play with other classmates in an acceptable way. It is thoughtful and kind of you to make a copy for his parents. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your social story book is an excellent idea. This is a good modeling tool for him to reflect back to. The teacher can use it as a self monitoring tool. When he wants to play with others he can look at his book to see the right way to ask if he can join them during play. The mother can also use the book to help reinforce asking to join others in play and playing appropriately with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good way to do your social story. The student I am focuing on she has a problem almost similar but she can not make friends. She want to take over.The parents and myself is working on this together. The student is use to being just with family. Mom want her to learn to make friends.

    ReplyDelete