I implemented by first learning activity last Wednesday, June 1st. The Pre-K classroom that I am working in was studying Nursery Rhymes last week. During choice centers I decided to have a cooking activity at the art table. I based my learning activity around the Nursery Rhyme "The Muffin Man." I had the students practice writing their last name (another skill they were working on) onto chef hats. We then sang the "Muffin Man" song and made blueberry muffins for them to enjoy at snack time that afternoon.
My focus child's IEP goals are to: 1) share information about personal experiences or activity at hand on 70% of opportunities and 2) participate in structured and non-structured activities with 80% of activities.
I embedded the first goal into the activity by asking all students at the beginning of the lesson if they had ever made muffins before and what kind of muffins they made. My focus child was able to answer the questions and said, "I made strawberry muffins at home." I also embedded the first goal at the end of the lesson when asking each student what their favorite part was. My focus child did not want to answer the question and left the art table to move on to another choice center.
I embedded the second goal into my learning activity by teaching a structured small group activity. My focus child was able to participate and answer questions. I did use a visual recipe with pictures of each step (bowl, add milk, stir, put muffin liners in pan, add mix to liners) and put a picture of each child beside each step that they were to do. This helped my focus child stay focused on the activity because he knew when it would be his turn.
Thanks for reading my post this week, I can't wait to read all of yours!
Until Next Time...
This is great way to embed goals and objectives. I did a lesson on making freeze cups. We were actually talking about summer and how we could make a snack to cool after play time. It took use to days because we had to let the cups freeze over night but we check the cups throughout the daily to see if they had froze. By the end of the first day they were not completely froze.The children enjoyed the hands-on activity.They were able to make their own freeze cup.The children learn a lot because we let them see that they can make muffins and freeze cups,not just seeing them already prepare in stores.These lesson also tied the real world into what is done daily somewhere.
ReplyDeleteThis was great! Your activities with the children in the classroom was wonderful. I am a pre k teacher and those are exactly the things that we do daily to get the children to work on goals/objectives we have planned for them.
ReplyDeleteThis activity was fun! I bet your students enjoy the hands-on part. You did a great job embedding your objectives and goals into the activities.
ReplyDelete